Essays are of different types. Therefore, you should first learn the type of essay you are writing before beginning your assignment. One of the common types of essays is an argumentative essay. In this type of essay, you are required to take a stance on a given matter and discuss it at length using factual information.
Writing your essay argumentatively should not entirely be based on mere assertions. You should provide tangible facts and evidence of the standpoint that you have taken. The main objective here is to persuade your readers to take your stance as well. Readers should be able to get your reasoning throughout the essay.
How to write an Argumentative Essay
When asked to write an argumentative essay, you should take time to think through it and plan your work. Here is what to do.
- Choose and refine your topic. There has to be the subject of discussion. What is the argument about? This will be the topic of your essay. Make sure that it is well-written, short and precise. It should be attractive and appealing to your readers.
- Gather enough information and facts. In most cases, argumentative essay topics are drawn from technology, science, healthcare and politics among several other fields. Therefore, it is important to collect enough information to help you in writing the essay. Doing this from a well-informed point of view will help you complete your essay in a high-quality fashion.
- Prepare an essay outline. List down all the items that will be captured in your essay. It will help you write the essay without getting stuck along the way. Ideally, your essay should have an introduction, body and the conclusion.
- At the introduction, include a thesis statement. This is a key introductory statement that will inform readers about the main point or opinion that you have concerning your topic.
- Write with supporting evidence. Your body should include paragraphs with factors supporting the position you are taking in your writing. Make your reader understand why you are taking a certain direction with the essay and not any the other.
- Organize your points in paragraphs. Write one point in each paragraph. This will make your essay readable and clear to the readers. Make your sentences short and precise with a word count of between 20-25 words. Again, 4 – 5 sentences will be good enough for your paragraphs.
- Write a conclusion. A good essay should end with a proper conclusion based on the topic. At this point, the reader should see how you have successfully defended your argument throughout the essay. You should restate the thesis statement here again as you complete your essay.
Argumentative essays give the writer the freedom to pick any side in their writing. However, opinions expressed through the writing should be based on factual information. Your readers should buy into your points of argument based on credible evidence from reliable sources. Planning is very important for successful essay writing. Ensure that you have an outline to help you cover all the important aspects of your essay.